DuPont Data Scientist in Johnston, Iowa
Data Scientist (Job Number: ABT00001762)
DuPont Pioneer is aggressively building Big Data and Predictive Analytics capabilities in order to deliver improved services to our customers. We seek a strong data scientist with a background in math, statistics, machine learning and scientific computing to join our team within new product discovery/First-of-a-Kind effort. This is a critical position with the potential to make immediate, significant impact on solving focused grower problems to improve their bottom-line and drive data drive decision making. The data scientist will work closely with the business and will be exposed to the full gamut, right from prototyping a potential solution on one end to productization and bringing the solution to market on the other end. In that sense, the position will offer enormous scope for ideation and creative thinking.
The successful candidate will have an extensive background in statistical computing and machine learning through courses or thesis/dissertation, and proven experience validating models against experimental data. Individuals who have a natural curiosity, a desire to solve problems, and a passion for scientific investigation are encouraged to apply. We are looking for those creative, smart, driven, detail oriented individuals who enjoy giving their all to tackle tough research problems.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Develop data-driven insights & solutions with advanced analytics (machine learning, deep learning and statistical models) to extract insights from large proprietary agronomic data sources (millions of acres of farm data, terabytes of imagery and corresponding weather/soil/genetics data).
• Apply creative thinking to come up with features that can help improve signal to noise ratio including automated ways for feature engineering.
• Ideate in collaboration with the principal investigators and come up with potential proofs of concepts, that can be quickly prototyped and analyzed
• Generate hypothesis and recommend data collection needs that has the potential to address farmer’s needs.
• Identify, implement, and present results of research on novel ways machine learning approaches can improve decisions, add value to services, and contribute to the advancement of ideas into the marketplace & agriculture.
• Conduct independent research, extend or improve in-house algorithms & collaborate with other data scientists to improve predictive capabilities.
• Uphold DuPont Core Values at all times.
Education & Experience:
PhD in Computer science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics or a related field and 2 to 4 years of relevant post-graduate work experience or demonstrated equivalent work experience required.
• Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills are essential.
• Experience with supervised and unsupervised machine learning theory and practice.
• Experience with Deep Learning algorithms, theory & applications is a plus.
• Experience deploying spatial algorithms and understanding of Big O complexity is a plus
• Proven ability to independently deliver end-to-end analytic solutions by asking the right questions, identifying necessary data sources, building predictive models, and producing actionable results.
• Statistical computing in at least one scripting language such as R, Python and MATLAB
• Proficiency in at least one general purpose object-oriented programming language such as C++, Java or C#.
• Proficiency utilizing scientific and high performance math libraries to translate data science ideas into working code solutions that can be migrated into production systems.
• Experience with Relational and NoSQL databases as well as use of Amazon Web Services and Dockers is a plus.
• Experience with web crawling or utilizing web services to facilitate data collection is a plus.
• Proven ability to work in a team setting and ability to lead teams to complete complex projects on time and in budget.
• Superior communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Familiarity with farming and/or agriculture strongly preferred, but not required.
Primary Location: NA-United States-Iowa-Johnston
Education Level: Doctorate Degree (over 19 years)
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Experienced
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information. For US Applicants: See the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster.