DuPont Application Development Engineer/Scientist - PVAM in Wilmington, Delaware
Application Development Engineer/Scientist - PVAM (Job Number: 197141W-01)
The DuPont Company is hiring an Application Development Engineer/Scientist in the Tedlar® Fluoropolymer Products R&D group within the Photovoltaic and Advanced Materials (PVAM) business in DuPont Electronics & Imaging (E&I). Tedlar® is a growing business supplying polyvinylfluoride (PVF) polymer, films and coatings for innovative solutions in the Photovoltaic, Electronics, Transportation, Construction, and broad Industrial markets.
The Application Development Engineer/Scientist will lead technical application development research to investigate and develop new applications for Tedlar® products. This position will report to the Global Tedlar® R&D Leader, but will work closely with customers and Sales and Marketing Development Managers to drive application development projects and demonstrate value propositions relative to competitive products.
This position’s responsibilities include the generation of new ideas, product concept development, building prototypes, and testing those prototypes per industry standard methods. This position will play a pivotal role in continuing the development of the Tedlar® application development capabilities in North America. The candidate will be part of a larger R&D group that is located at the DuPont Experimental Station, Wilmington, Delaware and will collaborate with peers in R&D, Technical Service, Sales & Marketing, value chain partners and customers.
DuPont offers an excellent benefits package that begins on your first day of employment. This includes a generous 401k match, health and dental insurance, 15 days of vacation, a variable bonus plan, and much more!
We are seeking a highly motivated and results-focused team player, with exceptional interpersonal skills, a creative and entrepreneurial mindset, and a strong desire to succeed.
The responsibilities of this position include:
• In close collaboration with Sales and Marketing, identify opportunities for new product uses/applications and product extensions in new market spaces.
• Develop fundamental understanding of customer needs, standards, product performance characteristics and develop effective prototypes and solutions for customers.
• Design and perform laboratory and pilot scale experiments.
• Operate hot press, nip-roll or vacuum laminator and thermoform equipment and become the Tedlar® film processing expert.
• Conduct (or coordinate) property/performance testing of laminates and prototype parts internally (or in external laboratories).
• Research and test competitive materials/products.
• Engage in face-to-face customer interactions to support customers in their product/application development efforts.
• Function as the Subject Matter Expert for Tedlar® Applications, and write/present technical papers and posters at industry trade shows, conferences, customer visits and technical seminars.
• Identify new technical capabilities and equipment needs to advance research and application development efforts in the R&D group. Help develop and deliver compelling investment proposals for funding these capabilities.
• Collaborate on application development efforts with the R&D and Technical Service teams in the US, EMEA and Asia Pacific, as appropriate.
• Travel approximately 20% of the time within North America. Some international travel may be required.
The following are required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Polymer Science/Engineering or Material Science/Engineering, or related field with at least 5 years of industrial experience.
• Experience in application development.
• Strong mechanical aptitude, and hands-on experience with laminate/composite processing technologies (e.g. adhesives, coating, lamination, printing, thermoforming, embossing) is desired.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects, meet deadlines, and work efficiently and independently in a timely manner.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills, both internally and with customers. Fluent in English.
• Strong relationship, influence and collaboration skills.
• Ability to work across and outside the company, forming effective partnerships.
• Ability to travel up to 20% of the time to customers, conferences, trade shows, etc.
Primary Location: NA-United States-Delaware-Wilmington
Organization: Electronics & Imaging
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Employee Status: Regular
Job Type: Experienced
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information. For US Applicants: See the “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law” poster.